Learning English via Skype is an amazing opportunity to travel and meet new people who speak different languages. The only problem is that there isn’t much information about teaching English online without a degree or previous experience.
English teaching jobs today are very competitive, but if you have the right skills it can be one of the best ways to make money from home in your spare time at any age.
Teaching English as a second language has been proven over many years to help children learn faster when they start school.
It also helps them with their confidence levels so they feel more comfortable speaking other languages such as French or Spanish.
In UK, teaching experience for English teacher are not required; however, most schools prefer teachers who hold qualifications like TEFL certificate.
The first step towards becoming a teacher is deciding whether you want to teach children or adults. There are many different ways to enter the world of education.
The most common way is through a university. But other options include community colleges, vocational schools, private institutions, and more.
English teacher applying without a degree tips and guidelines
In UK, There are some English teachers working without any degree. However , It’s better to get a qualification before starting out because it will give you credibility among employers.
If you don’t want to spend thousands on getting a degree then try to find free courses available online which could provide you all the knowledge needed to teach English.
You should always check whether the course provider offers certification after completing the course. This way you’ll know that you’ve learned everything correctly.
Teachers often work part-time while studying full-time. Here some guidelines you can follow:
- Find out what kind of qualification you need before starting your job search. You will find this info easily by searching “TEFL Certificate Online” on Google.
- Make sure you know all the requirements needed to work in the country where you plan.
- If possible, apply for a visa before leaving your home country.
- Start looking for a job early enough. Most companies require applicants to submit applications within 2 weeks of submitting their CV.
- Don’t forget to include references in your application letter. References are important especially if you’re going through a recruitment agency.
- Always keep up to date with current affairs. Read newspapers and magazines regularly.
- Keep yourself updated with news related to education.
- Try to use social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter to promote yourself.
- Be patient! Good things come to those who wait.
- Have fun! Enjoy every moment of being a teacher.
Companies that let you teach English online without a degree
There are many different companies out there who offer you the chance to teach English online without a university degree. However, most of them require you to pay a high fee upfront in order to sign up for their courses.
However, if you search around then you may find a company that does not require a university degree. If you want to learn more about these companies then keep reading.
- TESOL. They do not require a degree. The only requirement is an interest in learning another language.
- Global University Center. Their website says “We believe that everyone deserves access to quality higher education regardless of financial circumstances.” So, no fees involved.
- English tutoring companies – Are one of the English tutoring jobs does not need any degree. These companies usually have websites offering lessons at very affordable prices.
The best thing about these sites is they allow you to choose from various subjects such as grammar, vocabulary or even pronunciation.
These companies also offer certificates upon completion of each lesson so you can prove to potential employers that you really did complete the task assigned to you.
Online ESL classes – Many people think that taking online ESL classes requires a college degree but this isn’t true. All you need is a computer and internet connection.
- TEFL certification programs – This certification programs can help you get into teaching positions abroad. It’s free and it doesn’t take long to finish.
You just need to pass two exams: TEFL 101 and TEFL 201.
You don’t necessarily need a degree to become a certified TEFL instructor. There are plenty of other ways to earn money while studying. For example, you could work part-time during school hours and study after class.
Factors to consider when working as an teacher without any degree?
Working as a teacher without any degree might sound quite challenging at first, but there are several factors that you should keep in mind before starting out.
Teaching jobs are among the most popular careers nowadays because people find them rewarding and interesting. However, many teachers have not completed their degrees, which makes them vulnerable to certain risks.
If you want to become a teacher without a degree, here are factors that you should always keep in mind.
- You will be responsible for your own success
As mentioned earlier, becoming a teacher without a degree means that you won’t receive any kind of support from the government. Therefore, you’ll be solely responsible for your career advancement.
This responsibility comes with its fair share of challenges. In fact, some students fail to make progress due to lack of motivation.
- Your salary depends on how much effort you put in
Hourly rate can vary greatly depending on where you live. Some countries like Australia charge $20 per hour whereas others like India charge less than $5.
In addition, hourly rates depend on experience level. As a beginner, you’re likely to start off earning lower wages compared to experienced instructors.
- Acceptance rate are also important
Some schools require applicants to submit transcripts showing proof of graduation. If you haven’t yet earned a bachelor’s degree, you may encounter difficulties getting accepted by those institutions.
However, if you do manage to secure a job, you still face another challenge. Most universities only accept graduates who hold Bachelor’s degrees.
So, what happens if you’ve already graduated? You can apply for graduate studies instead. But remember that acceptance rates tend to decrease significantly once you enter postgraduate courses.
- It takes time to build trust
When you begin teaching, you must establish yourself as trustworthy person. You cannot expect clients to come back every day simply because you gave them good service.
- You can work short hours minimum
On other companies working without any degree will only allow you to work 2-3 hours max. On the contrary, private tutoring services usually offer more flexible schedules.
For instance, you can choose between full or half days. The latter option is ideal since it allows you to spend more quality time with your student.
- Interview performance
Interview process can differ widely across different regions. It all depends on whether they use video interviews or paper tests.
Regardless of the method used, interviewers look for specific skills such as communication ability, problem solving abilities, etc. So, if you feel confident about these areas, then you shouldn’t worry too much.
Your interview performance will also determine your future prospects. For example, an interviewer might ask questions related to your previous experiences. This way he/she can get a better idea regarding your personality traits.
Online teaching platforms for English online teachers
There are different online teaching jobs around the world this can help you, Find a temporary job so that you can save some cash and earn.
This can help you also achieve teaching licenses and application process for your exciting profession.
Online tutoring are one of the most popular ways to teach people from all over the globe. There are many websites which provide free lessons but there are few sites which pay their users.
These sites have been designed specifically to give learners access to high-quality content at affordable prices.
The best part is that you don’t need to be qualified to become a tutor. All you need is a computer and internet connection. However, before starting out, you should consider the following:
Here some samples of English online teaching platforms:
- 1-1 virtual teaching sessions
This type of one-on-one lessons are very common in the United States. In fact, students often prefer this kind of classes due to its convenience.
- Online lesson plans
In addition to providing individualized instruction, these programs also include lesson plans. These plans cover topics like grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, reading comprehension, writing, etc.
This can only last for 30-minute lessons per week. If you want to increase your earnings, you may opt for longer periods.
- Video tutorials
Video tutorials are great tools when it comes to learning new things. They make learning fun by showing real life examples. Moreover, videos are easy to understand and follow.
Structured lesson plans must be provided along with each tutorial. You can find them easily through YouTube channels.
- Live chat rooms
Live chat rooms are perfect for those who want to practice speaking while communicating with others. Students can interact with each other through live chats.
Also must include lesson materials such as flashcards, worksheets, quizzes, etc.
- Native teacher
This kind of teaching experience are rare because not everyone has the opportunity to learn from native speakers. But, if you do find yourself in this situation, then you must take advantage of it.
You may even receive compensation for your efforts. If you decide to join them, remember to keep up with your studies. You never know what opportunities await you!
- Non-native English teachers
Non-Native English Teachers are usually hired by schools or universities. Their main responsibility is to prepare students for standardized exams.
Teachers work closely with professors and administrators to ensure that every student receives proper training.
They also conduct regular meetings with parents to discuss any concerns.
- English language learners
This type of platforms are ideal for those who wish to improve their skills as well as gain knowledge about foreign languages.
Students can choose between courses on listening, speaking, reading, writing, and more.
- Language volunteer programs
This programs can help those teachers who doesn’t have a degree yet. It gives them an opportunity to share their experiences with others.
Just completed the 3-step application process, Then pass all the interview process , And finally get paid weekly via PayPal.
- 1-on-1 online language lessons
This is a private lessons to students where they will meet face to face with their instructor. This method allows both parties to communicate easily.
It’s important to note that 1-on-1 lessons aren’t always available. So, if you’re looking for such services, check the website first.
This is also great start for a teacher without any degree.
- 25-minute class
A short English lessons for 1-5 students who want to improve their communication skills. The program includes audio files, video clips, quizzes, and tests.
- 30-minutes class
These 30 minutes long classes are designed for beginners. Topics covered include basic greetings, introductions, body parts, numbers, colors, time, days, months, seasons, food, transportation, money, shopping, family members, animals, holidays, sports, weather, technology, health, careers, hobbies, and much more.
- 50-minute virtual class
This 50-minute lesson is a combination of lecture and discussion.
Topics discussed include vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, sentence structure, punctuation, spelling, idioms, colloquialisms, slang, business terms, culture, geography, history, politics, law, religion, science, art, music, literature, philosophy, psychology, sociology, ethics, customs, and many more.
- 60-minute virtual class
The 60-minute session covers topics like conversation, grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, sentence structure and punctuation.
- Online classroom
Online classroom platforms for non-degree teacher can be found in most countries around the world. They offer live streaming sessions which allow participants from different locations to interact at once.
The platform provides access to various tools including whiteboards, chat rooms, polls, surveys, and other interactive features.
- Virtual classrooms
Some websites provide virtual classrooms for free while some charge monthly fees. These sites give users access to lectures, discussions, assignments, and practice exercises.
Also you need high-speed internet connection to use these platforms.
- App-based platform
App-based platforms for teaching English for non-degree teachers. Are usually used by people who don’t have enough experience or qualifications to teach ESL.
This good for those who are active internet users as it requires no special equipment. You just need your smartphone or tablet.
Teacher training certification
If you plan to become a professional educator, then it would be wise to enroll yourself into one of these programs. You’ll learn how to handle your own curriculum, manage student schedules, create lesson plans, design assessments, and even earn certification.
There are two types of certificates:
- Certificate of Completion – this certificate shows that you’ve successfully completed an accredited course. It doesn’t guarantee job security but does show employers that you know what you’re doing.
- Professional Certificate – this type of certificate requires passing exams on specific subjects. For example, there are certifications for Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Teaching English Learners and others.
What are the pro’s and cons for being non-degree teachers?
Being a teacher without any degree can be both rewarding and challenging. Here are some pros and cons of becoming a non-degree teacher.
- You get paid less than a bachelor’s degree holder. However, if you work hard, you may eventually make up for lost wages with higher pay after graduation.
- No college loans! If you decide not to pursue a career in education, you won’t have to worry about paying back any debt.
- It takes much less time to complete a program compared to traditional degrees. This means you could start working right away instead of waiting until later in life.
- Can help you achieve adequate teaching experience. Many schools require students to gain real-world experience before they graduate. Non-degree courses will do the trick.
- It takes longer to find employment because you lack a degree. This means you might have to start off working part-time jobs until you build up a portfolio of work samples.
- Your salary will likely depend on where you choose to go to school. Some schools might require students to take classes outside their major field. Others might only accept applicants with certain majors.
- Non-degree courses aren’t always recognized by colleges and universities. So, unless they’re specifically listed under “non-academic” requirements, you might end up having trouble getting accepted.
- Can only work minimum hours per week, which is often around 20–30 hours.
Can you teach English online with an associate’s degree?
Yes, you can. There are many ways to obtain an Associate Degree Online. The most common way is through community colleges.
These institutions offer low cost tuition rates and flexible scheduling options. They also provide access to high quality instructors and resources.
Another option is to attend a virtual university like University of Phoenix.
Virtual universities allow you to study from home while earning credits towards a Bachelor’s Degree. Both methods are great alternatives to attending regular brick & mortar campuses.
Is it legal to teach online without a degree?
In United Kingdom, you need a bachelor’s degree to teach at the primary or secondary level. You must also complete an application process with the department of education where you will be vetted for criminal history and character.
However, there are many online programs available that provide high quality training for teachers.
What makes a good English tutor?
The best teachers are those that have the most experience, but also know what they’re doing. They understand their subject matter well enough to be able to explain it in an engaging way for students of all ages and levels.
And they make sure that every student is comfortable and engaged throughout the lesson.
If you want to become a great teacher, here’s some advice from experts about what qualities you should look for when choosing your first job as a private English tutor.
- Be patient: It doesn’t happen overnight. Teaching requires patience, persistence, dedication, and commitment. Don’t expect instant results. Instead, focus on building relationships with your students over time.
- Have fun: When you love something, you tend to enjoy everything related to it. As a result, you’ll feel more motivated to learn new things and share them with others.
- Keep learning: Keep reading books, watching videos, listening to podcasts, etc., so you stay current with the latest trends in language pedagogy.
- Don’t get discouraged if one method isn’t working: Try different methods until you find out what works best for each individual student.
- Teach multiple subjects: Even though you may specialize in just one area, you should still try to cover other areas such as vocabulary, pronunciation, writing skills, speaking skills, cultural.
How do I choose my teaching style?
There are two main styles of teaching: interactive and didactic. Interactive lessons involve lots of interaction between the teacher and his/her students.
This type of teaching allows students to ask questions, express opinions, and discuss topics freely. In contrast, didactic classes usually follow a prescribed format and include little discussion among students.
You don’t necessarily need a college degree to start tutoring. Online teaching positions are becoming increasingly popular because they offer flexibility and convenience.
However, you can only earn money through these jobs if you pass certain requirements.
For example, you might need to hold a valid driver’s license and meet minimum age restrictions set by state laws.
Some states require applicants to submit references before being hired. Others check up on former employers to ensure that no complaints were filed against the applicant.
Other qualifications depend on the specific position.
How do you set your fees?
For non-degree English teachers you can only set your fees, In a minimum rate.
In fact, you could even use your own website to advertise yourself as a freelance ESL instructor. You would then receive requests directly via email instead of having to go through an agency.
It’s important to note that while setting prices is easy, getting paid is another story.
Most agencies will take care of collecting payments for you.
Becoming a teacher without a degree requires patience and perseverance. Nevertheless, there are ways to overcome this obstacle.
By following our tips above, you can easily land a great position at one of the best schools around the world.
Being a great teacher are not easy, but we hope that this article has helped you gain valuable insights into how to succeed!
A Wife, a mum and a Tutor! I am the Lead Editor at TheTutor.Link & also the Head Tutor there. I love teaching seeing young minds flourish. I also love blogging and sharing my experience on the world wide web.